Even though you can move back and forth from Maya to 3dsMax, its really awesome to see that fume Fx has found its way into Maya so you don't have to!
( from the site)
Welcome to the FumeFX - a groundbreaking solution designed for realistic and breathtaking fire, smoke and explosion effects. This unique plug-in is a powerful gaseous fluid dynamics simulator created by Sitni Sati for seamless integration with Autodesk Media & Entertainment’s Maya™ modeling and animation software. Designed for use by visual effects artists, game developers, and visualization professionals who demand the utmost in realism, FumeFX is unrivalled in its ability to capture the nuance and complexity of fluid gas behavior.
FumeFX for 3ds max has been already production proven in feature film titles such as Oblivion, Hugo, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance,Thor, Red Tails, Priest, 2012, Skyline, Suckerpunch, Spiderman 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Superman Returns, Iron Man, The Host (Gwoemul) and various games cinematics such as Warhammer Online, Classic Transformers and Dante's Inferno while FumeFX for Maya has been used on The Avengers, Oz the Great and Powerful and Thor.
- Production proven results demonstrate this technology's ability to achieve realistic smoke and fire effects for cutting-edge industry applications.
- FumeFX supplements the user's artistic vision with the power of real-world physics for the ultimate in both style and realism.
- GPU accelerated Preview Windows with self-shadows, multiple scattering and geometry.
- A multitude of parameters and FumeFX helpers give users maximum control of the fluid's behavior and appearance.
- Easy to use, basic effects can be created with just a few clicks.
- Dynamic simulations allow for bi-directional influence between FumeFX and particle systems.
- FumeFX is capable of dynamic interaction with other scene objects.
- Simulation of nested grids in one go (N-Sim).
- Powerfull Effectors that can contol almost every parameter on a per-voxel basis.
- Application of various Deformers on caches.
- FumeFX can use Variable Density solver that uses smoke density and temperature as variables.
- Start simulations from scratch or by using other simulation results as a starting point.
- Stop, pause and continue simulations at any point.
- Simulation is multithreaded - users can select how many CPU's to dedicate to their simulation.
- Users can watch the simulation progress in the interactive GPU accelerated Preview Window.
- Interactive simulation allows user to change almost every parameter during the simulation and see it's influence on the simulation result.
- Draft simulations can be created in mere minutes for fast previewing.
- Multiple advection schemes that can minimize numerical dissipation.
- User has control of which data is written to output files for rendering and further processing.
- Wavelet Turbulence algorithm quickly adds extra detail to low resolution simulation caches while preserving the existing overall motion.
- Retimer is a very efficient and fast method to slow down or speed up caches without the need to re-run simulation.
- Post Processing module can significantly reduce cache size by optimizing grid size around smoke/fire. It also allows users to decide which channels will be excluded from the final caches.
- mental ray renderer support - available for both Windows and Linux.
- The GPU accelerated Preview Window gives users almost instant feedback on render settings.
- Fast self-shadowing is produced through an Illumination Map which is integrated inside of the FumeFX object.
- A highly efficient Multiple Scattering model enhances light dispersion throughout fluid .
- Fluid Mapping integrates procedural map details with fluid motion.